Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Post.

I know I just made a post the other day (was it yesterday? I can't really remember...) and nothing much has happened since then, but spontaneous posts are sometimes the best ones around.

Yesterday I was bored, so I decided to go ALL the way back to the first page of the Rebelution blog (found out there's 70 pages... if you want to go ALL the way back, just ask me for the link to that page, otherwise you'll lose about 30 minutes of time just going back), and start reading all of what the Harris twins had written, because I knew I'd missed a LOT of good articles before I started reading the blog. So I went all the way back and yesterday read the first page.

Early on, Brett had posted an article about what the Rebelution was. You can read the whole article here, and I highly reccomend that you do, but there was one part that really stood out to me, and I thought I'd quote it here... it was a good reminder to me that I needed to get out there and light my candle, not just accept the darkness:

"Should a candle set in a dark room assume that darkness is his fate? Would it be acceptable for the candle to make peace with the darkness? Not when he holds the potential for glorious light!"

I
continued on a little ways and saw a favorite post of mine, again by Brett, called "My First Shower Nearly Killed Me."
It got me thinking more than usual, but in a different way than usual (usually I'll end up going off and yelling at myself whenever I struggle with Chemistry or Geometry or Algebra and think "I'm just not a math person.").
This time I thought about what the "showers" in my life were. Going through a list, I realized that there aren't that many every day things I'm scared of or don't like... until I came upon needles. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE sewing. But as soon as I hear "blood test" or "shot" I start freaking out. With a shot it's usually okay. I close my eyes and brace myself for it, and it's over.

Blood tests, however, are different. The first time I got my blood drawn (well, that I remember...), I was somewhere between 5 and 8. I started hyperventilating and not letting them put that needle into my arm... I remember starting to feel sick. Mommy convinced me to let them do it, and when they finished I felt like I was going to faint. The good part was I got juice, crackers, and 2 suckers when I finished.

I
know it's not really what Brett's first shower was like, and to this day I still hyperventilate when I get my blood drawn, but I think now it's more of "fear of something unnatural inside of me" rather than aichmophobia (fear of needles).

And yes, I did just look that word up.
And I found another phobia I have:
Didaskaleinophobia, fear of going to school.

And sometimes I kind of have this:
Dromophobia, fear of crossing streets.... especially in Jordan or New York.

Some of these phobias crack me up... like fear of work or fear of handwriting.

This has got to be my favorite, though:
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. Such a contradiction.
Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. <-- that's good, though.

And just a warning, in the near future I'll probably be talking about the Rebelution a lot, so if you don't know what it is, I suggest you go over
there...

We've been calling around more about oboe reeds (yes, me on a phone... yikes... I made it through a phone message without any "ums" today... be proud of me!), and can only find them in medium. We may have to order some. Hmph.

Oh, and I finished the main part of writing my book! *dances* I want to make it a bit longer, though, but if I can't think of any way to do that, I won't, I'd rather have a good, short book than a boring, long one.

Over'n'out
Kilo-Yankee-Lima-Echo-India-Golf-Hotel.

5 comments:

BananaBint said...

And HOW on EARTH are you supposed to pronounce those words?!?! You should put a pronunciation (I know I spelled that wrong) guide in here. (:

I used to like shots. I would look forward to them! he he.

AND YOU DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL!?!?! I LOVED school. I don't like homeschool that much though...

And one last thing: you talk about the Rebelution too much. (:

Kyleian said...

I think if you actually went over to the Rebelution and looked at it and read their blog and some articles and such you'd like it. :) If you want, I can email you a list of the really really good articles.

Anonymous said...

Tell me some of the good ones. I found your blog off of the Rebelution website.

Anonymous said...

I've read a bunch of 'em. But if you want, send me the list.

Autumn said...

I love the Rebelution. Keep writing about it. It reminds me to go over there and read.

Wow. The names of phobias are so funny. So, I am afraid of Spiders, afraid of losing friends, and afraid of being paranoid. Haha. I know that last one sounds REALLY silly, but I wonder if I'll ever be paranoid, and then I scare myself and think, "oh, no! If I am thinking these things, I really am paranoid!" lol. I think I MIGHT be getting over it though.
So, what are my phobias called? =)